Data archiving in SAP
The various business processes in SAP constantly generate data that must be stored for tax and legal reasons. The databases in the SAP systems thus grow with increasing runtime. Data archiving makes it possible to reduce the amount of data in the SAP database, which also makes the SAP system perform better again.
Archiving master data and transaction data, including customer-specific tables, reduces the amount of storage space required in the SAP system, which results in a lower system load and better application runtimes. The SAP standard offers many archiving objects for master and transaction data as well as administrative data (IDoc, workflow, etc.) to meet the requirements. By reducing the size of the database, the requirements for backup media are also reduced. In addition, the backup and restore times are reduced with a smaller database.
SAP Information Lifecycle Management (SAP ILM)
SAP Information Lifecycle Management (SAP ILM) provides the rules, processes and tools for managing information throughout its lifecycle - from capture to destruction. SAP ILM consists of the following basic building blocks:
- Data archiving for volume management to reduce the amount of data in the SAP database. The basic module, which has been included in SAP for years, has been extended with functions to not only archive data, but also to be able to destroy it with ILM.
- Retention Management is a basic module that provides various tools for data retention - from creation to destruction. Retention management includes retention policy management, ILM-enabled filing and legal case management.
- Retention Policy Management (IRM) is the new rules engine. IRM can be used to create sets of rules and regulations to control the lifecycle of information. IRM is closely linked to data archiving. When writing an archiving object with ILM enhancement, the system reads the IRM rules to determine retention periods and storage location.
- ILM-enabled storage is an important component of ILM. WORM-like filing technologies can ensure that information is not deleted within retention periods.
- Legal Case Management allows you to manage legal processes. In the event of a legal dispute, information can thus be found according to specific search criteria and frozen using the legal hold function. Deletion is then not possible even after the retention period has expired. Legal Case Management is based on SAP Records and Case Management.
- The Retention Warehouse provides methods for decommissioning legacy systems.
Consulting and development data archiving
- Analysis of your SAP system
- Strategy consulting on data archiving and SAP ILM
- Conception of data archiving
- Setup and development of Data archiving
- Operational support and managed services
CONTACT US NOW!
We will be happy to help you personally.